Friday, September 9, 2016

Top 10 Favorite Natural Hair Products

It's Friday!!!!! Yaasssssss!

And since I'm working from home today I was inspired to write this post since I shampooed my hair this morning and currently have my deep conditioner sitting in my hair. I can hardly contain my excitement *insert sarcasm*. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my natural hair but I don't look forward to wash day or styling days, it's just done out of pure necessity. 

Anywho, a quick hair update before I get into my favorite products. After having my second child, I experience postpartum shedding for about 6 months *womp womp* and it started when Khloe turned 3 or 4 months old. I lost a lot of hair and I didn't realize how much I actually lost until it started growing back. Those next 9ish months were not fun and probably the only time I actually hated my hair. Styling was horrible and I tried to either keep it put away in a protective style or tried to camouflage the thinning areas (thank God for Jamaican black castor oil) with fluffy twist outs. March 2016, I got my hair cut into a tapered cut for the second time and I'm in the process of growing my hair back out. I'm enjoying my hair at this phase, but I cannot wait until my big, fro is back!!



But let's move on to the products. I really try to keep my regimen pretty simply and I don't try many new products these days because I know what works. Let's jump right in...


Shampoo
My hair is actually very picky when it comes to shampoo. If I use the wrong one my hair either feels unclean and mushy or feels extremely stripped and dry. But through trial and error I have found that Dark N Lovely Au Natural Hydrating Soak Shampoo works great for my hair. I have found it at Sally's Beauty Supply and even at TJ Maxx for less than $10. 

Conditioner
When it comes to conditioner, I'm really not too picky since my hair likes most things and it only stays in my hair for a few minutes. I have a number of them in my stash, but my old faithful is Trader Joes Nourish Spa conditioner. It's cheap and it provides loads of moisture!

Deep Conditioner
Let me just preface by saying, my hair isn't a fan of many Shea Moisture products no matter how hard I wanted to like them. But with one of their newer deep conditioners, I finally found my match with the Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Hair Masque. I looooooovvvvveeee this deep conditioner and I can easily purchase it at Target for $10. I use it at least twice a month for my hair and my oldest daughter. Moisture, moisture, moisture!!
Leave-In Conditioner
This is a MUST for me! I have to use a leave in anytime I have shampooed or cowashed my hair. This is something that I switch up about every year or so because for some reason my hair begins to react differently the longer I use it. Weird! But my current love is Curls Blueberry Bliss Leave-In Conditioner. Every leave-in conditioner I use, must be creamy and very moisturizing and this fits the bill. This item can also be found at Target for around $10.
Oil
This is another area I am not too picky with in regards to my hair. I have used JBCO, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, extra-virgin olive oil and much more. As long as it isn't coconut oil, my hair likes it! But my current favorite at the moment is another item from the Curls Blueberry Bliss collection and it is their Hair Growth Oil. Let me first say that this oil smells AMAZING!! Love, love, love it! I can't necessarily comment on the growth because I didn't purchase it expecting for it to make my hair grow faster. I massage this oil in my scalp about once a week (I should do it more, but ya know) and I also use it to seal the moisture in my hair after using my leave in conditioner. This item can also be found at Target for about $12.

Styling Products
Here is favorite group! This is where experiment the most with new products and sometimes it's great and sometimes not so good. But here a few of my favs......

OBIA Naturals Twist Whip Butter
This is probably my favorite of them all. This is a nice, creamy butter and works great on damp hair for me. It provides crazy moisture for me and CRAZY definition. When I twist with this product, my twist out usually last all week with no retwisting (besides some about 6 chunky ones in the front). I also do not have to reapply any additional product for at least 4 days.



OBIA Naturals Curl Enhancing Custard
As you can tell from the name this product is a custard, which has more of a jelly consistency versus a butter. If you like to wear wash and go's this is the product for you because it provides great hold. I use this to do my twist outs on dry hair when I just need an extra boost of definition and it helps to fight against humidity. This product is also great for your edges and to hold your hair in place for puffs and such!

Curls Blueberry Bliss Control Jelly
And yet another item from the Curls blueberry collection makes the list! This has a similar consistency of the OBIA custard above, but just a little more sticky. It actually does provide some moisture, definition (used on wet hair), controls frizz and gives crazy shine! This product is intended more for wash and go's, but I use it to do twist outs and I have also used it to do some mini twists that lasted about 10 days. And of course it smells just as amazing as all of the other items from this blueberry collection. 



One thing I will also note about more gels, custards, or jelly type products be careful not to use to much or to mix it with lots of other products. Usually if you use too much or use it on hair that already has product on it, they tend to cause flaking which is not cute! For this reason I usually use these products only on freshly washed hair with only leave in conditioner added. But if I absolutely have to use it on top of another product, I usually stick with products from that same product line because they tend to play well together that way.

Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
This one is not a favorite for me, but for my little one. She has very fine, really curly hair so most of the products that my hair likes does not work for her hair because they are too heavy. I typically spray her hair with some water and then apply this product for moisture and styling. It just melts into her strands and provides enough moisture for 2-3 days.
Creme of Nature Edge Control
And lastly here is my favorite for my edges. I have really thick hair and this edge control works to keep them in place all day without using a scarf to set them in place...SAY WHAT?!?!? Yassssss honey! Love this stuff and a little goes a long way.

Of course as a disclaimer, just because it works well on my hair does not mean it will work great on your hair. It's all about trial and error when it comes to natural hair so try things until you find what works for you. I hope this helps!

XOXO, 
LB

2 comments:

  1. I love Obia products too!! That girl knows what she's doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Her spray gets an honorable mention too because I like that as well!

      Delete